Thursday 28 August 2008

Kensington Hospital Memories

KENSINGTON HOSPITAL PATIENT/STAFF REUNION 2009

It was in 1999 that I took up the challenge of writing my childhood
memories of Kensington Hospital, and in the year 2000 I journeyed
to Haverfordwest to search the archives of the one time childrens
hospital. Having little if any success at the Records Office, I called
on an ex patient, Charlie Weatherall and his wife, an ex nurse. both
who were able to help me with my research. Whilst visiting them they
mentioned another ex nurse who would like to see me, living in the
same village St.Ishmaels, and by the end of the day, I had been put
in touch with ten ex staff. Seeing this as a golden opportunity for a
group photograph for my book, I contacted the Western Telegraph
a Pembrokeshire Paper. and arrangements were made for a group
photograph to be taken in the grounds of St.Brides Castle, the one
time Kensington Hospital. It was at this gathering, that a comment
was made by one of the ex staff 'it would be nice to have a patient/
staff reunion sometime', and with a successful couple of days in
Pembrokeshire I returned home , with that comment buzzing in my
head, and in 2002 the first ever major patient/staff Reunion took
place in May 2002, fifty years to the month since my discharge.
Imagine my surprise on the day when thirty minutes before
the Castle doors were due to be opened, whilst I was busy putting
up photographs and memorobelia , thirty ex patients and staff
arrived, and by two'o clock had increased to about one hundred
which included friends and family. One ex patient was one of the
first to be admitted in 1923 when the hospital opened, but a
majority were patients in the 30's 40's and 50's. After three hours
of meeting up with friends and colleagues at the one time hospital
we all went to the Function Centre in Haverfordwest, for a Reunion
Dinner and Dance, and ended the evening in a circle on the dance
floor singing 'AULD LAN SYNE'
The next reunion took place two years later, and as there were
a number from other parts of the country, as far as Cornwall and
Kent, it was decided to have a central venue The Fishguard Bay
Hotel, at Goodwick near Fishguard.
Over the years since 2002, the numbers attending appear to be
on the decline, as one gets older and mobility problems set in.
In 2009, the Kensington Hospital Patient/Staff Reunion is
holding a special event at St.Brides Castle, having a commemorative
Plaque placed in the Castle, as recognition, and an acknowledgement
of fifty five years of Patient Care from 1923-1978.
If having found this blog, and you are an ex patient or staff
of the one time Kensington Hospital, and would like to join us
for the occasion, please contact me David Pearce on Preston 01772
563113 for full information.







3 comments:

Joycie said...

(Have already written this above)
Inviting contact with anyone who was a nurse or patient at the Kensington Hospital in Wales around 1930-1935. My late husband was a patient there with TB hip at age 5 to 12 years.

Unknown said...

I have looked at your web site regarding Kensington Hospital and was intrigued that on Saturday 16th May 2009 St Brides and the Holiday Property Bond were hosts to a unique ceremony, had I known, I would have loved to have attended.

I was a T.B patient there around 1948/1951?
I am now 72, so there are a few of use still around.

If anyone would wish to contact me? My "Email" address is darered@hotmail.co.uk I would love to hear if there is another gathering?

Regards Howard J

Unknown said...

I was there 1946 till 1950. The same ward as David Pearce the balcony. Miss Hall was a brilliant teacher . She learned me to read. In 3 month I could read anything but all the boys in the balcony loved westerns so I must have read 100rd of them. I went to see David in Port Albert when we were home. I come from Neath although I've been living in England was over 60 year